Monday, January 31, 2011

week 23: "how are we supposed to know this?

I had a joint observation this week from my principal and the high school principal. I thought they were coming to my reading class, but something convinced me the night before my JO that I needed to revamp the language arts lesson plans. So I stayed up 2 hours later than normal to change everything around. I went to bed fussy, got up in the morning and went to school, only to have the principals walk in to my most challenging LA class of 21 low ability, LOUD students! Good thing someone (aka the Lord) nudged me into spicing up my plans!

Everything went fairly smoothly (for that class) - but we were making posters and spent too long getting situated and putting away supplies. All of a sudden I realized I only had 12 minutes to cover about 15-20 min worth of our novel study. Sooooooooooooo...I had a split second decision to make. Go ahead with the novel stuff and not expect much? Or, quickly come up with something else?

Being one to fold under pressure, I decided to plow ahead with our novel study. I was frustrated, the kids were frustrated, but I wasn't prepared for what happened at the very end of class. When I asked students if they had any questions, one boy raised his hand and asked, "How are we supposed to know this?"

Right. In front. Of the two principals. BLURGH.

I had never felt so ridiculous and embarrassed in my life. I acquiesced that he had a point, explained that we would finish it during our next class, and somehow sent them on their way/finished the school day.

One goal for next year: improve my timing so I can get to everything I need to. Also: don't call on any smart-aleck kids when the principals come to observe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment